While I have done critique editing for non-fiction/academic papers for over a decade, I have three years of experience beta reading fiction projects of any length for published and querying authors.
- Romance of any steam level (including erotica), as well as most romance subgenres. I am comfortable with polyamorous romance, and will consider most dark or kink romances.
- Mystery, including cozy
- Contemporary/urban/low fantasy
- General commercial/genre and upmarket fiction
Sensitivity Reading available for:
- Gender non-binary characters or themes of gender and sexuality
- Plus-size characters (my perspective is strongly HAES/FA)
- NeoPagan/witch characters
- Polyamorous characters
I am not a good fit for
- kidlit (I am willing to work on YA, but it is not a specialty of mine)
- conservative themes
- inspirational Christian fiction
- historical fiction
- hard sci-fi
- epic fantasy
- Anything where the dog/horse/cat/pet dies
- Literary fiction
The Beta Reading Process
I will provide high-level story feedback and suggestions that include the following:
- Character development, motivation, and stakes
- Genre beats and tropes (especially for romance and mystery)
- Plot structure and progression, tension maintenance
- Anything that stands out to me as a reader, both positive and negative.
I may offer line-editing suggestions if I notice a pattern of line-level craft issues, but a beta reader is not an editor, nor a replacement for one. I am also just one reader in a highly subjective process that is largely guided by taste, so I encourage you to trust your writer instincts and vision above any feedback I provide.
A positivity pass focuses only on what’s working and what I love. It is designed for writers who are feeling discouraged or blocked, and need an enthusiastic cheerleader to tell them where their work shines.
Contact me for rates. Discounts available to marginalized authors.